top of page

Home Modification Assessments

In a home modification assessment, an Occupational Therapist will visit your home and: 

  • Recommend pieces of equipment and provide strategies that will make it easier for you to complete your day-to-day activities around the home such as; getting in and out of bed, dressing, showering, using the toilet, doing laundry and cooking

  • Recommend which items should be moved or removed if they are currently a trip hazard 

  • Review the safest way to go up and down stairs, the safest way to get in and out of the bath or shower, and the best body mechanics to use when bending, reaching and lifting items.

  • Help families with aging-in-place planning 

  • Provide you with a clear report to help guide you on the recommended changes to your home set up.

  • This report satisfies requirement 4.4 "Modification from a Rehabilitation Professional" for applications to the Residential Access Modification Program (RAMP) 

Cost: $250.00 per assessment

Is government funding available for this service? 

Yes! This is not something you have to pay out of pocket for, however, some people will choose to hire a private occupational therapist to complete a home modification assessment as they prefer to avoid long wait times for the assessment and arrival of their equipment. 


There are government programs which will send an occupational therapist to complete a home assessment for you, and programming which can help you get funding for your equipment via Alberta Aids to Daily Living (AADL). To get a referral to one of these programs, speak to your family physician or call 811. 

We are not an AADL authorizer and the only way to get funding for your equipment is to book an appointment with an authorized clinician. OT2U Ltd. can recommend equipment if you'd prefer to pay for it directly, or if you'd like to rent it until an assessment by an AADL authorizer can take place. People often find this brings them greater peace of mind while waiting.    


If you require changes to your home as a result of an injury acquired at work, you can request an OT2U Ltd. home assessment through your WCB case manager. We are familiar with their reporting expectations.

bottom of page